ST. LOUIS-SAN FRANCISCO RAILWAY
ST. LOUIS-SAN FRANCISCO RAILWAY. The St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company was chartered on August 24, 1916, as successor to the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad Company. Both companies were commonly called the Frisco. On January 1, 1964, the Frisco merged a subsidiary, the St. Louis, San Francisco, and Texas Railway Company, into the parent company. This gave the Frisco three lines from the Red River into Texas, one serving Paris, one through Denison and Sherman to Dallas and Fort Worth, and one to Quanah. The Quanah line, however, was operated under lease by another Frisco subsidiary, the Quanah, Acme and Pacific. In 1964 the Frisco operated over nearly 4,700 miles of track in nine midwestern and southern states, with major routes from St. Louis through Oklahoma to Texas and from Kansas City through Memphis to Birmingham and Pensacola, Florida. Major subsidiaries included the Quanah, Acme and Pacific between Quanah and Floydada and the Alabama, Tennessee and Northern, which gave the Frisco access to Mobile, Alabama. In that year the Frisco owned 419 diesel units, 200 passenger train cars, and 19,200 freight and company service cars. Earnings for the year included $1,471,000 in passenger revenue, $122,100,000 in freight revenue, and $9,167,230 in other revenue. The Frisco was merged into the Burlington Northern Railroad Company on November 21, 1980.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "ST. LOUIS-SAN FRANCISCO RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqs28), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.