RIO GRANDE, MICOLITHIC AND NORTHERN RAILWAY
RIO GRANDE, MICOLITHIC AND NORTHERN RAILWAY. The Rio Grande, Micolithic and Northern Railway was chartered on May 17, 1926, and opened the following year. The 6.4-mile road was located near the eastern border of Hudspeth County and served no population centers. It ran from a connection with the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio (later Texas and New Orleans) at Mica to Micolithic, where the Micolithic Company of Texas had a quarry and crushing plant. A projected extension to Van Horn and a connection with the Texas and Pacific was never built. The company was capitalized at $50,000, and its principal office was in Houston. Members of the first board of directors were Rawle Buckner, Arthur F. Fisher, Maurice Hirsch, Clarence Kendall, C. L. Kerr, W. F. Lenoir, and P. A. Neilan, all from Houston; and Joseph A. Daniel and George G. Kirtley of Van Horn. The project was unsuccessful, and the railroad handled only forty-one cars before the quarry and crusher shut down in early 1929. With no remaining business the RGM&N also closed, sold its only locomotive (a twenty-five-ton gasoline unit), and remained idle for ten years. In 1939 the railroad was abandoned and the track removed. The RGM&N did not offer passenger service. Its stock was owned by the Micolithic Company of Nevada.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "RIO GRANDE, MICOLITHIC AND NORTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqr05), accessed March 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.