PECOS VALLEY SOUTHERN RAILWAY
PECOS VALLEY SOUTHERN RAILWAY. The Pecos Valley Southern Railway Company was chartered on May 28, 1909, to build from Pecos south to Toyahvale, about forty-five miles. The initial capital was $45,000, and the business office was in Pecos. Members of the first board of directors included J. G. Love, F. W. Johnson, M. L. Swinehart, J. F. McKenzie, W. D. Cowan, and William P. Brady, all of Pecos; E. D. Balcom of Balmorhea; C. W. Griffin of Toyahvale; and H. Roffins of Saragosa. The line was constructed under contract by W. L. Carvile, who was also president and general manager of the PVS. Construction began at Pecos and was completed to Toyahvale in April 1911. By 1916 the company owned three locomotives, seven freight cars, and two passenger cars. Earnings for 1916 included $7,494 in passenger revenue, $36,445 in freight revenue, and $927 in other revenue. From 1927 to 1946 the PVS was owned by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company, but continued to operate as a separate company. In 1931 the Pecos Valley Southern was designated a Class III railroad by the Railroad Commission. Total earnings for that year were $47,048. By 1944 the company apparently rented all of its cars. Earnings for 1944 included $80,140 in freight revenue and $3,569 in other revenue. The eleven miles of track between Saragosa and Toyahvale was abandoned in 1971. In 1990 the PVS owned two locomotives.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "PECOS VALLEY SOUTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqp13), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.