NORTH PLAINS AND SANTA FE RAILWAY
NORTH PLAINS AND SANTA FE RAILWAY. The North Plains and Santa Fe Railway Company was chartered on November 1, 1930, to acquire and complete a line from Amarillo to the north line of Dallam County that had been begun by the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway Company on June 19, 1930. The new organization was necessary due to restrictions placed on the bonds of the Panhandle and Santa Fe. Both companies were subsidiaries of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company. The North Plains and Santa Fe was capitalized at $500,000, and the business office was at Amarillo. Members of the first board of directors included W. B. Storey of Cook County, Illinois, and J. R. Hitchcock, J. N. Freeman, Avery Turner, W. W. Kelly, F. E. Edwards, and Thomas B. Gallagher, all from Potter County, Texas. The North Plains and Santa Fe completed its 100-mile line in 1931. At the Texas-Oklahoma border it connected with the Elkhart and Santa Fe Railway Company, another Santa Fe subsidiary, and formed part of a short route between Colorado and Texas. The North Plains and Santa Fe was leased to the Panhandle and Santa Fe for operation and merged with that company in 1948.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "NORTH PLAINS AND SANTA FE RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqnuk), accessed June 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.