MARSHALL, ELYSIAN FIELDS AND SOUTHEASTERN RAILWAY
MARSHALL, ELYSIAN FIELDS AND SOUTHEASTERN RAILWAY. The Marshall, Elysian Fields and Southeastern Railway Company was chartered on August 28, 1922, to acquire and operate that portion of railroad formerly owned by the Marshall and East Texas Railway Company between Marshall and Elysian Fields in Harrison County. Capital stock was $30,000, and the principal business was in Marshall. Members of the first board of directors were M. Turney, W. L. Barry, W. L. Pitts, and T. L. Whaley, all of Marshall; and J. B. Furrh, W. K. Furrh, and B. H. Timmons, all of Elysian Fields. The property was acquired at a foreclosure sale August 1, 1922, and the MEF&S began operating in intrastate commerce on September 1. Interstate Commerce Commission approval to engage in interstate commerce was obtained on February 2, 1924. The owners of the MEF&S bought the line with the hope of selling it to a larger carrier and thus obtain another rail connection for Marshall. However, they were not successful in disposing of the MEF&S in this manner and attempted to extend the line to achieve their goal. In 1924 ICC authority was obtained to construct a line ten miles in length in a northeasterly direction from Elysian Fields to Lorraine on the Texas-Louisiana state line, where connections could be made with tracks of the Louisiana Railway and Navigation Company of Texas and the Vicksburg, Shreveport and Pacific Railway Company. The extension was not built, and in 1926 the MEF&S received permission to abandon its entire railroad. This authority was not exercised until 1940 when the MEF&S abandoned all but the 1½ miles of track between Marshall and Cary's Spur. The final segment was abandoned and removed in 1945. In 1926 the line owned six engines, which primarily consisted of trucks with flanged wheels, and twenty-one cars. Passenger earnings that year were $1,000 and freight earnings $13,000.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Nancy Beck Young, "Marshall, Elysian Fields and Southeastern Railway," accessed May 28, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqmpw.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles