MARSHALL AND EAST TEXAS RAILWAY
MARSHALL AND EAST TEXAS RAILWAY. The Marshall and East Texas Railway Company was chartered on August 17, 1908, to acquire the Texas Southern Railway Company, which had been sold under foreclosure. The railroad had capital stock of $75,000, and the principal office was located in Marshall. Members of the first board of directors were Osce Goodwin, J. F. Strickland, M. B. Templeton, and J. J. Carter, all of Dallas; Albert T. Perkins, John F. Shepley, and N. A. McMillan, all of St. Louis, Missouri; and E. Key of Marshall. The Marshall and East Texas acquired 72 1/2 miles of track between Winnsboro in Wood County and Marshall in Harrison County. In 1909 the company extended its track seventeen miles in a southeasterly direction from Marshall to Elysian Fields, making a total operated mileage, including branches, of nearly 96 1/2 miles. The line owned eight locomotives and twenty-three cars in 1916 and reported passenger earnings of $23,000 and freight earnings of $164,000. However, the railroad became unprofitable as timber resources along the line were depleted, and was forced into receivership on January 25, 1917, with Bryan Snyder appointed receiver. The company was offered for sale in July of that year. There were no bidders, and the district court overseeing the receivership ordered operations to cease north of Marshall on August 15, 1917, and between Marshall and Elysian Fields on August 3, 1918. In September 1917 the line was again offered for sale in two segments, without any offers being received. In April 1920 the railroad was offered for sale in six segments. The thirty miles between Gilmer and East Winnsboro was sold to the Winnsboro and Gilmer Railroad Company, but this company never operated as a common carrier and its charter was forfeited in 1923. Two miles of track and the Marshall terminal were sold to the Texas and Pacific Railway. Subsequently, the segment between Marshall and Elysian Fields was sold to the Marshall, Elysian Fields and Southeastern Railway. The rest of the Marshall and East Texas was abandoned.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Nancy Beck Young, "Marshall and East Texas Railway," accessed May 03, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqm01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles