KIAMICHI RAILROAD. The Kiamichi Railroad began operations on July 22, 1987, over 227 miles of former Burlington Northern Railroad Company trackage in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas. This mileage had been part of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company prior to its merger with the Burlington Northern. The Kiamichi, named for the Kiamichi River, has two lines, one of which extends from Madill, Oklahoma, to Hope, Arkansas, and the other from Antlers, Oklahoma, to Paris, Texas. The two lines cross at Hugo, Oklahoma, where the line has its headquarters. The sixteen miles in Texas from the Red River to Paris was built in 1888 by the Paris and Great Northern Railroad Company. In 1988 the Kiamichi had fifty-two employees and handled 32,180 carloads over its system. On April 6, 1990, the affiliated Chaparral Railroad began service over sixty-one miles between Paris and Farmersville acquired from the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company. The company also had trackage rights over an additional twenty-five miles between Farmersville and Garland. However, the Chaparral embargoed its line on August 10, 1994, and the Kiamichi began service over the four miles south of Paris.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "KIAMICHI RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqkmb), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.