HORTON GRAVEL RAILROAD
HORTON GRAVEL RAILROAD. The Horton Gravel Railroad Company was chartered on November 8, 1928, to build a line from a connection with the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway Company in Colorado County to the McNair League near the west shore of Eagle Lake. The initial capital was $5,000, and the business office was in Houston. Members of the first board of directors included George F. Horton, Sewall Myer, Amos Thorstenberg, E. J. Matthews, N. B. Brunson, Russell Thorstenberg, and Fred Temme, all from Houston. The company was chartered in order to secure the power to condemn a right-of-way from near Eagle Lake to an extensive gravel deposit three miles away. Neither the Railroad Commission nor the Interstate Commerce Commission recognized the Horton Gravel as a common carrier, and it did not seek such recognition. Its sole purpose was to handle gravel produced at Horton's pit. The line was sold to the Texas and New Orleans Railroad Company, as lessee of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio, and the company was dissolved in 1929.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "HORTON GRAVEL RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqh06), accessed May 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.