GRANGER, GEORGETOWN, AUSTIN AND SAN ANTONIO RAILWAY
GRANGER, GEORGETOWN, AUSTIN AND SAN ANTONIO RAILWAY. The Granger, Georgetown, Austin and San Antonio Railway Company originated as part of the efforts of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas to reach Austin and San Antonio and compete with the International-Great Northern. To this end the GGA&SA made use of the Georgetown and Granger and the Trinity, Cameron and Western companies, two earlier railroads that had been planned but not finished. The Georgetown and Granger Rail Road Company was chartered on December 13, 1890, to build twenty miles of track in Williamson County from Granger southwest to Georgetown. Capt. Emzy Taylor of Georgetown was one of the principal backers of the project, but sufficient capital could not be raised to complete the project, and no track was laid at this time. On January 18, 1892, the Trinity, Cameron and Western Railroad Company was chartered by the citizens of Cameron in Milam County to build eastward to Trinity and westward to a connection with the Texas and Pacific. Taylor was also interested in the construction of this line and believed that it would provide the connections he wanted for the Georgetown and Granger. Again, difficulties were encountered in raising capital, and no construction ensued. The financial difficulties of both projects caused many delays and precipitated Taylor's suicide on June 29, 1895. Thomas S. Miller acquired the Georgetown and Granger at a foreclosure sale on December 2, 1902, and conveyed the 15.5 miles of partly completed railroad to the GGA&SA Railway Company, which had been incorporated on December 5, 1902. The members of the first board of directors were A. A. Allen, T. S. Miller, G. A. Hickok, and J. W. Allen, all of Dallas; and W. Van Riper, H. M. Flint, and Devereaux Teler, all of New York City. The principal place of business was Granger, and the capital was $50,000. The charter accorded the new line all the rights of the Georgetown and Granger. The Trinity, Cameron and Western Railroad had been surveyed between Georgetown and Austin and was acquired to facilitate these plans. The GGA&SA completed the fifteen miles of track between Granger and Georgetown by 1903. On May 13, 1903, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas acquired the GGA&SA.
V. V. Masterson, The Katy Railroad and the Last Frontier (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1952). Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Victoria S. Murphy, "GRANGER, GEORGETOWN, AUSTIN AND SAN ANTONIO RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqg15), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.