GALVESTON, BRAZOS AND COLORADO RAILWAY
GALVESTON, BRAZOS AND COLORADO RAILWAY. The Galveston, Brazos and Colorado Narrow Gauge Railway Company was chartered on February 2, 1875. C. W. Hurley and his associates projected the line to run from Galveston Island to Austin roughly paralleling the Colorado River. The original intention was to build westwardly along Galveston Island on the most practical route to cross West Bay. On the mainland the company planned to utilize the grade built by the Houston Tap and Brazoria Railway Company in 1860. The first spike in the project was driven on April 6, 1876. The company was unable to finance a bridge across West Bay and was also unsuccessful in its attempt to use the bridge of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company to reach the mainland. During the years 1876 and 1877 the company constructed about fifteen miles of track, commencing on Ninth Street near Avenue A in Galveston, running through various city streets to the city limits, and terminating at a point known as Seaforth. The company primarily hauled sand from pits along its line to the city. On February 1, 1878, it was leased to Drennan, Sullivan and Company, which held claims for construction expenses. On March 29, 1881, the line was sold at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Charles S. Hinchman, representing the bondholders, for $5,000. Hinchman, in turn, sold the company to the Texas Mexican Railway Company for $60,000 for use as an entry into Galveston. The Texas Mexican was unable to finance a Galveston extension. The narrow gauge was sold under a judgment decree to the Mexican National Construction Company on March 1, 1887, which conveyed the property to the Galveston and Western Railway Company on February 29, 1888.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "GALVESTON, BRAZOS AND COLORADO RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqg05), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.