EMPORIA AND GULF RAILROAD
EMPORIA AND GULF RAILROAD. The Emporia and Gulf Railroad Company was chartered on August 18, 1900, to connect Emporia, Angelina County, with Prescott, twenty-five miles to the east. The capital stock was $100,000, and the principal place of business was Emporia. Members of the first board of directors were Samuel F. Carter, J. P. Carter, E. L. Crooker, L. Davidson, W. B. Banks, E. J. Mantooth, and E. W. Scott. In 1900 the railroad built fifteen miles of track between Emporia and Crooker, and the following year it was reclassified as a logging operation.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "EMPORIA AND GULF RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqekm), accessed April 20, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.