EL PASO NORTHERN RAILWAY
EL PASO NORTHERN RAILWAY. The El Paso Northern Railway Company was chartered on September 13, 1894, to acquire the former Kansas City, El Paso and Mexican Railroad Company of Texas. The latter railroad, which had completed a ten-mile line from El Paso to Lanoria on December 1, 1888, had been bought by Jay Gould at foreclosure on April 28, 1892. Following Gould's death in December of that year, the executors of his estate conveyed the railroad to Charles Satterlee, who, in turn, conveyed it to the El Paso Northern. The initial capital was $300,000, and the business office was in El Paso. Members of the first board of directors included George J. Gould of Lakewood, New Jersey; Edwin Gould of New York; Satterlee of Brooklyn, New York; Charles R. Morehead of El Paso, and William H. Abrams, L. S. Thorne, and E. L. Sargent, all from Dallas. On November 16, 1897, the line was acquired by Charles B. Eddy in the interest of the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad Company.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "EL PASO NORTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqedu), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.