DENISON AND WASHITA VALLEY RAILWAY
DENISON AND WASHITA VALLEY RAILWAY. The Denison and Washita Valley Railway Company was chartered on January 8, 1886. In that year five miles of track was built in Texas from Warner Junction to Ray, and in 1895 two more miles of yard and side tracks were added. A second division of the company operated fifteen miles from Atoka to Coalgate, Indian Territory. In 1895 the company owned one locomotive and 119 freight cars, and primarily served the coal mines in the Coalgate area. The road was owned by the Texas and Oklahoma Railroad Company, but was operated by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas until December 31, 1891. The Texas portion was then operated by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas until it was sold to that company on May 13, 1903.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "DENISON AND WASHITA VALLEY RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqd15), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.