BEAUMONT WHARF AND TERMINAL COMPANY
BEAUMONT WHARF AND TERMINAL COMPANY. The Beaumont Wharf and Terminal Company was incorporated by John Henry Kirby and other businessmen on March 26, 1897, to build wharves along the Neches River and tracks to connect them with outside rail interests. The company laid between three and four miles of track. It was subsequently owned by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company and connected with city tracks at the Port of Beaumont. Other railroads serving Beaumont ran over portions of the BW&T to reach the port. The BW&T opened in 1898; in 1903 it reported total earnings of $52,000 and owned one locomotive and eighty-eight cars. In 1935 it had a four-mile belt railway at Beaumont plus terminal tracks. In 1937 the project was reclassified as a terminal operation. The properties of the company were merged into the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company, effective at the close of business on June 30, 1957.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BEAUMONT WHARF AND TERMINAL COMPANY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqb06), accessed June 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.