AIR LINE RAIL ROAD
AIR LINE RAIL ROAD. The Air Line Rail Road was chartered on January 30, 1860, to construct a railroad from Brenham to Austin. Incorporators were George W. Glasscock, John B. Banks, John W. Brown, and W. S. Oldham of Travis County; L. D. Moore and J. B. McGinnis of Bastrop County; and J. D. Giddings of Washington County, James Shaw of Burleson County, and Thomas Oates of Williamson County. The Air Line graded about five miles before the Civil War, but no other work was done by the company. Its charter gave the Air Line the right to consolidate with the Washington County Rail Road Company. This consolidation was effected, but the date of the merger is not known. In 1869 the Washington County was acquired by the Houston and Texas Central Railway Company, which used the rights granted by the Air Line charter to build its Western Division between Brenham and Austin in 1870 and 1871.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.S. G. Reed, "AIR LINE RAIL ROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqa04), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.