- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
ANSON JONES PRESS
ANSON JONES PRESS. The Anson Jones Press was founded in Houston in 1929 by Herbert Herrick Fletcher, a New Yorker by birth who was head of the rare-book department at Wanamaker's in Philadelphia before opening his own bookstore in Akron, Ohio. With World War I and the inevitability of the draft before him, he sold out, joined the army, and eventually landed in San Antonio as a medical librarian for Fort Sam Houston. There he met his future wife, Thelma Rawls, employee of Moose's Old Book Store on Broadway. She was the daughter of the Presidio County rancher and legendary lawman John Fletcher Rawls. The couple moved to Houston in 1927 and opened Fletcher's Books on the corner of Rusk and San Jacinto. In the spring of 1929 the Williams family of Galveston offered the Fletchers 585 copies of Anson Jones's Memoranda and Official Correspondence Relating to the Republic of Texas. They were the original printing published by Appleton and Sons in 1861 and were refused by Jones's widow. The books had remained in storage in Galveston in the Williams family warehouses since then. Fletcher formed a small company and purchased the books for $500. Profits from selling them enabled him to enter the publishing world. The press was appropriately named after Anson Jones and was headquartered in Fletcher's bookstore. Fletcher's first publication was a little book of verse titled Ourselves and compiled by the Owen Wister Literary Society of Rice Institute in 1930. In 1932 the press published The Heroes of San Jacinto by Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp; in 1936, Texas 1844–1845, translated from the German, by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels; also in 1936, Interwoven, A Pioneer Chronicle, by Sallie Reynolds Matthews; and in 1950 Texas and Its Revolution, by Frederic LeClerc. In 1954 the Fletchers moved to Salado, where they continued the Anson Jones Press and opened another bookstore. In 1961 they published The French in Mexico and Texas by Louis Eugène Maissin. In all, the Anson Jones Press has published more than 100 books and pamphlets relating to Texas history. In 1995 it was co-located with Fletcher's Books in Salado.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Herbert Herrick Fletcher).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Tyler Herrick Fletcher, "ANSON JONES PRESS," accessed November 20, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ehaqw.
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Modified on October 12, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.