WEIMAR MERCURY. The Weimar Mercury is a weekly newspaper published in Weimar, Texas. The Mercury's predecessor was the Weimar Gimlet, founded as a weekly on May 28, 1885, by Jason Hodges. Later in that year H. C. Quin, a local school professor, became editor with Hodges continuing as proprietor. In April 1887 Quin became both editor and proprietor, but in the fall of 1888 ownership reverted to Hodges. During Quin's sole ownership in 1887–88, the Gimlet was published as the Weimar Daily Gimlet, a daily paper. In the fall of 1888, Ben Baker, editor of the Colorado County Citizen, and John H. Brooks, a former employee, bought the Gimlet from Quin and changed its name. The first issue of their paper under its new name, the Weimar Mercury, was published on December 20, 1888. About a year later, Brooks bought Baker's interest and was sole proprietor until February 1910, when he sold the paper to Ernst Goeth. Goeth had established the Schulenburg Sticker in 1893, later selling it. Robert H. Yoder, a Missourian who had gone to California to seek his fortune, learned the printing trade at a San Francisco paper. During a trip to Texas in 1909, he saw Brooks's advertisement for a printer in a San Antonio paper. Yoder got off the train at Weimar and took the job of foreman of the Mercury. Four years later, in 1913, he bought the paper from Goeth, and it has been in the Yoder family ever since. Brooks bought a half-interest in the Mercury from Yoder in 1916. That partnership continued for twenty-three years. In February 1939 Brooks retired, selling his half-interest to Yoder. In 1946, Yoder's son, James R. Yoder, returned from military service to join him as publishing partner and editor. That partnership continued for fifteen years, until illness dictated the elder Yoder's retirement in 1961, when his son bought his half-interest. In 1989 the owners and publishers were James R. and Grace B. Yoder, with James R. Yoder as editor. The Mercury began as a completely handset newspaper. In 1916 the Mercury bought a Linotype, the first linecasting machine in Colorado County, a revolutionary improvement. In 1971 the paper took another giant step, converting from letter press to photo-offset production.
Colorado County Historical Commission, Colorado County Chronicles from the Beginning to 1923 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1986). Winifred Gregory, American Newspapers, 1821–1936: A Union List of Files Available in the United States and Canada (New York: Wilson, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James R. Yoder, "WEIMAR MERCURY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eew16), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles