WACO EXAMINER. The Waco Examiner, originally a semiweekly publication, was established in 1867 by J. W. Downs; Henry Payne was editor and J. M. Conrad pressman. About 1872 the Examiner became a daily paper but continued to print a weekly also. In September 1884 the proprietor of the paper was the firm of Bartow, Cravens, and Leachman, which probably ran the Examiner until it ceased publication in the late 1880s.
Roger N. Conger, Highlights of Waco History (Waco, 1945). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WACO EXAMINER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eew03), accessed June 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.