SAN LUIS ADVOCATE
SAN LUIS ADVOCATE. The San Luis Advocate, a weekly newspaper published by Samuel J. Durnett and edited by Tod Robinson and Matthew Hopkins, began publication at San Luis about August 31, 1840. References to the paper appeared in contemporary journals throughout 1840 and most of 1841. Apparently it was suspended late in 1841 and had appeared again by January 5, 1842. By October 1842 the paper was moved to Galveston as the Texas Times, published weekly by D. Davis and edited by Ferdinand Pinckard.
Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SAN LUIS ADVOCATE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ees08), accessed August 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.