- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
SAN ANTONIO HERALD
SAN ANTONIO HERALD. The San Antonio Herald grew from a paper established early in 1854 by James Pearson Newcomb and called the San Antonio Alamo Starqv. This small paper, which carried the motto "Remember the Alamo," was limited mostly to local news. On April 3, 1855, to handle news of a wider scope, Newcomb began a weekly paper called the San Antonio Herald with the help of J. M. West. For the Alamo Star, Newcomb had set his own type and run his printing press by hand, but the first issues of the Herald were printed on the press of the San Antonio Ledger. John D. Logan and S. C. Thompson purchased the paper from Newcomb in 1856. The Herald became a daily on March 23, 1857, and Logan and West's daily Herald and San Antonio Public Advertiser appeared briefly in 1857. Newcomb later returned to edit the paper in 1857, but left again in 1860 after a disagreement with Logan over politics. In 1859 the paper transported steam machinery from Indianola, which was used to operate a press and grind corn for local farmers. Thompson sold his interest to G. W. Palmer in 1859, and George H. Sweet replaced Newcomb as editor in 1860. The paper was published in daily, weekly, and triweekly editions from 1858 to 1865, in daily and weekly editions by Logan and Sweet from 1866 to 1878, and as a daily from 1878 to 1880. In 1880 the Herald was absorbed by the San Antonio Daily Times. Owners and editors of the paper represented many political parties and beliefs. Newcomb, in partnership with J. M. West, took up the cause of the American (Know-Nothing) party and, as the paper changed hands several times, abolitionists, secessionists, and antisecessionists were also represented. The Herald was one of the first papers to suggest Sam Houston for governor, but it lost much of its popularity with subscribers and advertisers when it espoused the cause of John Ireland against Gustav Schleicher in a Democratic race for Congress.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Charles Merritt Barnes, Combats and Conquests of Immortal Heroes (San Antonio: Guessaz and Ferlet, 1910). Pearson Newcomb, The Alamo City, San Antonio (1926). San Antonio Express, February 13, 1938. San Antonio Light, February 25, 1932. Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Frances Donecker, "SAN ANTONIO HERALD," accessed January 20, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ees04.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.