PANHANDLE HERALD. The Panhandle Herald, established in a tent at Panhandle, Texas, on July 22, 1887, by Henry Harold Brookes, is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the Panhandle. The paper has been a weekly except in 1922 and from 1926 to 1928, when it was issued semiweekly. From 1889 to 1893 the paper had a succession of owners: L. D. Addis, Ed A. Jarbee, J. G. Williams, and J. L. Gray. Gray sold the Herald in 1893 to W. H. Mitchell, who was its publisher until February 2, 1903. Frank Elston owned the Herald from 1903 to May 14, 1906, when he sold it to R. C. Dessieux. Dessieux sold the Herald in August 1906 to Joe C. Lowes, who published it until October 9, 1909, when Fred C. and R. E. Wester bought it. J. Sid O'Keefe, attorney, bought the Herald on May 24, 1910, and sold it to E. L. Cook on January 4, 1913. On December 1, 1915, Lee Satterwhite, later legislator and speaker of the house, leased the Herald and exercised the option to purchase it on April 1, 1916. Satterwhite sold the Herald to John L. Nunn and E. E. Manney of Amarillo on July 8, 1921. O'Keefe bought Nunn's half interest on March 10, 1922, and Manney's half interest on October 20, 1922. On July 6, 1923, he sold the Herald back to Satterwhite. Nunn and David M. Warren of Amarillo bought the Herald on March 1, 1926, from Satterwhite and then operated the paper as a part of the Nunn-Warren Publishing Company until that corporation was dissolved on April 1, 1932, when the Herald became a unit of the Panhandle Publishing Company, headed by Warren. The Herald published a special Fiftieth Anniversary Edition on July 22, 1937. In the 1990s the paper was published by Joseph J. Miller and had a circulation of 1,225.
Texas Newspaper Directory (Austin: Texas Press Service, 1991).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David M. Warren, "PANHANDLE HERALD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eep01), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.