EL MEJICANO. El Mejicano, a bilingual imprint that may be called a newspaper, was a successor to the Gaceta De Tejas and was published in Natchitoches, Louisiana, by William Shaler and José Álvarez de Toledo y Dubois in June 1813. The paper was published to attack José Bernardo Gutiérrez de Lara and was distributed in San Antonio de Béxar. The press, which was for a time set up in Nacogdoches, may have been returned to Texas and captured by Mexican forces under Joaquín de Arredondo at the battle of Medina.
Julia Kathryn Garrett, "The First Newspaper of Texas: Gaceta de Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 40 (January 1937). Ike H. Moore, "The Earliest Printing and First Newspaper in Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 39 (October 1935). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."EL MEJICANO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eee01), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on September 19, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.