CORPUS CHRISTI CALLER-TIMES
CORPUS CHRISTI CALLER-TIMES. The Corpus Christi Caller-Times began with the consolidation in 1929 of two newspapers, the Caller and Daily Herald, started as the Caller in 1883, and the Times, founded in 1917. Newspapermen Eli Merriman, Ed Williams, and W. P. Caruthers had established the Caller, which was named after the San Francisco Call. In 1910 the Caller merged with another local paper, the Herald, and became the Corpus Christi Caller and Daily Herald. One of the Caller's original stockholders was King Ranch founder Richard King,qqv and the King Ranch maintained its interest in the paper until the 1920s.
W. E. Pope, a state legislator, purchased the Corpus Christi Daily Democrat in 1917, renamed it the Times, and sold it in 1928 to Houston Harte of San Angelo and Bernard Hanks of Abilene, founders of Harte-Hanks Communications. The next year Harte-Hanks bought the Caller from the King Ranch, and the two papers were combined as the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. The paper has outlasted more than two dozen newspapers published in the city since the first two, the Corpus Christi Gazetteqv and the Star, were published in the 1840s.
When the newspaper observed its 100th birthday on January 23, 1983, it gave the city a bayfront monument, Wind in the Sails, by sculptor Kent Ullberg. In the mid-1980s the Caller-Times had a combined daily circulation of 82,800, with 69,050 on Saturdays and 91,400 on Sundays. The Caller appeared in the morning, the Times in the afternoon, and the Caller-Times on Saturdays and Sundays. In May 1987 the Caller-Times switched to producing morning editions only and in 1994 had a weekly circulation of 72,604 and a Sunday circulation of 104,245. The newspaper launched an internet edition in 1995, and in 1997 the Scripps-Howard group assumed ownership from Harte-Hanks. In 1999 the Caller-Times won fifty national, state, and regional awards. It had a daily circulation of 66,000 and a Sunday circulation of 88,000.
Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Margaret Ramage, "Corpus Christi Caller-times," accessed February 14, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eec12.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles