CORPUS CHRISTI GAZETTE [#1]
CORPUS CHRISTI GAZETTE [#1]. There were two newspapers known as the Corpus Christi Gazette during the nineteenth century. The first was announced in a prospectus published in the Austin Texas Democrat in November 1845. The first issue appeared on January 1, 1846, with Samuel Bangs and George Fletcher as publishers and the chief justice of Nueces County, José de Alba, as editor. The paper ceased publication on April 2, 1846. Though no more than half the run exists in archives, the Gazette is significant as a source of information about the Corpus Christi of its day. The sixth issue, for example, contains a detailed list of the officers at Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and St. Joseph Island in February 1846.
Lota M. Spell, "Samuel Bangs: The First Printer in Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 35 (April 1932).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Frank Wagner, "CORPUS CHRISTI GAZETTE [#1]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eec08), accessed May 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.