AUSTIN TEXAS SENTINEL [1840-41]
AUSTIN TEXAS SENTINEL. Two Austin newspapers were called the Texas Sentinel.The first, nominally a weekly, began publication on January 15, 1840. Jacob W. Cruger and George W. Bonnellqqvere its publishers until Cruger withdrew from the firm on July 28, 1840. Bonnell continued alone until December 1840, when Cruger and Martin Carroll Wing became owners. The paper changed the spelling of its name to Texas Centinel on April 22, 1841. The paper was bitterly opposed to Sam Houston in policy and published slander on his personal conduct. During sessions of Congress the paper was a semiweekly, and extra editions were published, such as that of July 1841 on the "Texian Loan." The Sentinel appeared at least through November 11, 1841, after which Greenberry H. Harrison acquired the paper and split it into the Daily Texian and Weekly Texian (see NATIONAL VINDICATOR).
Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Mary Glasscock Frazier, Texas Newspapers during the Republic (March 2, 1836-February 19, 1846) (M. Journ. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."AUSTIN TEXAS SENTINEL [1840-41]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eeayz), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.