- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
AMARILLO NEWS AND GLOBE-TIMES
AMARILLO NEWS AND GLOBE-TIMES. The Amarillo News and Globe-Times was formed in the 1990s by the combination of the Amarillo Daily News and the Amarillo Globe-Times. The Globe, first published on February 20, 1924, was established by Eugene A. Howe and associates. On January 12, 1926, the firm acquired the Amarillo Daily News. Howe combined the News and Globe as companion morning and afternoon newspapers, and published them in a newly acquired plant at Sixth and Fillmore. The Globe-News Publishing Company became associated with the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal and later with radio and television stations. In November 1951 the afternoon Globe merged with another afternoon daily, the Amarillo Times, the Amarillo Globe-Times resulted. The Times had been published since 1937 and was widely known as the only tabloid in Texas. At the time of the merger it became a full-sized newspaper. The morning and afternoon papers had separate staffs, and the editorial policies of the two were independent. S. B. Whittenburg was publisher and editor of the Globe-Times, for which T. E. Johnson served as managing editor, and Wesley S. Izzard was editor of the Daily News. In 1955 S. B. Whittenburg and associates, owners of the earlier Amarillo Times, purchased the stock of the Globe-News Publishing Company. In 1961 the Amarillo Globe-Times received the Pulitzer Gold Award for Community Service for its work under the leadership of editor Thomas Thompson in uncovering corruption in the governments of Potter and Randall counties. In 1966 its circulation reached 91,500, and in 1967 the newspapers moved to new quarters. In that year the papers, including the Amarillo Daily News (the morning paper), the Globe-Times (the evening paper), and the Sunday News-Globe, were sold to the Southwestern Newspapers Corporation. Among the papers' outstanding editors was W. L. (Putt) Powell, a sportswriter, editor, and columnist who began at the paper in 1931 and was later inducted into the Texas High School Sports Hall of Fame. Circulation of the Amarillo News and Globe-Times in 1993 was almost 65,000.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Texas Newspaper Directory (Austin: Texas Press Service, 1991).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Diana J. Kleiner, "AMARILLO NEWS AND GLOBE-TIMES," accessed January 21, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eea07.
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.