PALESTINE SALT WORKS
PALESTINE SALT WORKS. The Palestine Salt Works, also known as the Saline and Salt City, was located six miles southwest of Palestine in Anderson County, on the site of an early Indian camp. Indians had been using the salt to preserve their meat and to trade to other tribes until they sold it to white settlers in the early 1830s. Subsequent salt extraction operations began at the site in 1840. Tom Bonner operated a salt works there before 1860, when C. W. and James McMean bought the location and worked it using slave labor. During the Civil War they provided salt for most areas of the state at prices set by the Confederate government. The salt works was once again put in operation in 1903, when it was owned by the Palestine Salt Works company. A. L. Bowers, a prominent Palestine businessman, served as the firm's first president. The company was still in business in 1914, but was gone by 1947. A historical marker was placed in Palestine in 1963 commemorating the salt works.
Pauline Buck Hohes, A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "PALESTINE SALT WORKS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dkp01), accessed May 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.