SAM HOUSTON HOUSE
SAM HOUSTON HOUSE. Sam Houston's home, the Woodlands, is located in Huntsville, on the campus of Sam Houston State University. When Houston built the house it was outside of town, but growth during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries has surrounded the site. The site comprises the original house, the original law office, and a reconstructed kitchen building. The present semirural setting is maintained by the university. Landscaping consists of a white picket fence around the house, kitchen, and office, a pond dating from Houston's occupation, a driveway, a museum, maintenance buildings, and a historic building moved onto the site. Oak, pecan, and pine trees are present. Archeological investigations were performed on the law-office area in 1979 by James E. Corbin of Stephen F. Austin State University; more extensive excavations were conducted in the areas of the house, kitchen, and post-Houston additions by John W. Clark, Jr., of Prewitt and Associates. Additional work was done at the law office and house in 1980 by Jody C. Pevey of Prewitt and Associates. The excavations were conducted to provide information on the architecture of the site for restoration efforts sponsored by Sam Houston State. Houston had his house, kitchen, and law office constructed in 1847 and occupied them until 1853. He sold them in 1858 to J. Carroll Smith, and in 1878 they were sold to S. Smedes, who built additions and converted the house into a boarding house for female students. The law office was removed in 1901, the house and kitchen in 1905. There was some fire damage in 1911, when the house was returned to the site. From 1914 through 1978 a variety of modifications took place, including the building of chimneys, replacement of some woodwork, rebuilding the porch, and adding air-conditioning. Beginning in 1911 the property came under the control of Sam Houston State University. Many artifacts were recovered, a large number attributable to the Smedes. Artifacts associated with Houston's occupation came principally from the kitchen and rear porch area and included ceramics, glass, nails, wire, stove parts, pen nibs, clothing fasteners, and cartridges. Many architectural features were noted in the excavations-for instance, postholes associated with the piers of the Smedes' additions and a chimney base and brick piers for the original house foundation. Within the kitchen a series of floors was found, each consisting of an ashy layer overlain by a layer of sand. Artifacts and documents relating to the excavations of the site are housed at the museum on the property operated by the university. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated a national landmark.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, John W. Clark, Jr., "Sam Houston House," accessed April 29, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ccs04.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles