QUANATAGUO INDIANS. The Quanataguo Indians are known from a single entry (1728) in the burial records of San Antonio de Valero Mission at San Antonio. The name is given as the band affiliation of a woman who was married to a Coahuiltecan. Apparently this is the basis for J. R. Swanton's identification of the Quanataguos as Coahuiltecan in speech. However, it is possible that Quanataguo is a variant of Anathagua, a name that appears on a list of twenty-five tribes of east central and southeastern Texas recorded in 1748 as having asked for missions in that general area. The list contains no names recognizable as Coahuiltecan; the identifiable names indicate only Caddoans (including Wichita), Tonkawans, Atakapans, and Karankawans. Quanataguo and Anathagua bear some resemblance to Quiutcanuaha, the name of a group of Indians identified in 1691 as living an unspecified distance southwest of the Hasinai Indians of eastern Texas, but no identities can be established. The affiliations of all three groups remain undetermined.
Herbert Eugene Bolton, Texas in the Middle Eighteenth Century (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1915; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1970). Charles W. Hackett, ed., Pichardo's Treatise on the Limits of Louisiana and Texas (4 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1931–46). Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940). John R. Swanton, Source Material on the History and Ethnology of the Caddo Indians (Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 132, Washington: GPO, 1942).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas N. Campbell, "QUANATAGUO INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmq01), accessed April 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.