MANOS DE PERRO INDIANS
MANOS DE PERRO INDIANS. In the early eighteenth century these coastal Coahuiltecans, whose name is Spanish for "dog feet," ranged over the peninsulas and islands in the vicinity of Aransas Bay. The major islands within their range were St. Joseph's and Mustang, which they seem to have shared with the Piguique. Manos de Perro individuals and families entered the Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga Mission near Goliad, and in 1756 they began to arrive at Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña Mission in San Antonio.
Herbert Eugene Bolton, Texas in the Middle Eighteenth Century (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1915; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1970). Jack Autrey Dabbs, trans., The Texas Missions in 1785 (Preliminary Studies of the Texas Catholic Historical Society 3.6 [January 1940]). Marion A. Habig, The Alamo Chain of Missions (Chicago: Franciscan Herald Press, 1968; rev. ed. 1976). Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas N. Campbell, "MANOS DE PERRO INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmm13), accessed July 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.