COTONAME INDIANS. In the second half of the eighteenth century the Cotoname (Catanamepaque, Cotomane, Cotonan) Indians lived on both sides of the Rio Grande below the sites of Camargo and future Rio Grande City, where they were sometimes called Carrizo, a Spanish name applied to many Coahuiltecan groups along the Rio Grande below Laredo. In 1886 a few Cotoname Indians were still living at La Noria Ranch in southern Hidalgo County and at Las Prietas in northern Tamaulipas. At that time the ethnologist A. S. Gatschet was able to obtain a short Cotoname vocabulary which demonstrated that this group spoke a Coahuiltecan language.
Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). Gabriel Saldivar, Los Indios de Tamaulipas (Mexico City: Pan American Institute of Geography and History, 1943). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940). Cyrus Thomas and John R. Swanton, Indian Languages of Mexico and Central America and Their Geographical Distribution (Washington: GPO, 1911).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas N. Campbell, "COTONAME INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmc88), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.