DAY LAND AND CATTLE COMPANY
DAY LAND AND CATTLE COMPANY. Day Land and Cattle Company, a private corporation with headquarters in Austin, was organized on March 24, 1884, by James Monroe Day, Charles E. Anderson,qqv Frank M. Maddox, John W. Maddox, and John W. Powers to buy, sell, and lease Texas land for grazing and breeding beef cattle. The company, chartered for fifty years with a capital stock of $510,000, bought 174,854 acres of donation and bounty land scrip and leased several thousand acres. On August 4, 1885, it leased 203,000 acres in Greer County. The loss of this property to Oklahoma was probably at least partly responsible for the firm's decline.
Laura V. Hamner, Short Grass and Longhorns (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1943). Joseph G. McCoy, Historic Sketches of the Cattle Trade of the West and Southwest (Kansas City, Missouri: Ramsey, Millett, and Hudson, 1874; rpt., Philadelphia: Porcupine, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DAY LAND AND CATTLE COMPANY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/azdhg), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.