SQUARE AND COMPASS RANCH
SQUARE AND COMPASS RANCH. The Square and Compass Ranch was started in 1882 by the Nave and McCord Cattle Company. Abraham Nave and James McCord, wholesale grocers with headquarters at St. Joseph, Missouri, had decided to pool their surplus income in the burgeoning "beef bonanza". Their initial investment in Texas was the purchase of 1,500 cattle and the range rights of Jim and Finis Lindsey on the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River at the mouth of Spring Creek in Garza County. Next they bought a herd from George B. Loving in Jack County. During several years thereafter they increased the size of their herd by retaining all the heifers; eventually it numbered around 15,000 head. The fact that Nave was a Mason apparently influenced their Square and Compass brand, which was patterned after the Masonic emblem. From the outset Nave and McCord made a policy of acquiring title to the land on which their cattle grazed. By 1884, when Rollie C. Burns was hired as resident manager, they had purchased and leased a tract eighteen miles north to south and twelve miles east to west, a total of 150,000 acres, lying south of the Llano Cattle Company's Curry Comb Ranch. About half of the Square and Compass land was on the Llano Estacado, high and level and good summer pasture, and about half was in the broken land, which made excellent winter pasture. The ranch was fenced in 1884 with posts made out of native cedar. One of the first projects that Burns supervised as foreman for the Square and Compass was the construction from imported lumber of new plank corrals with approaches from the south. These replaced the crude rock fences that had been built against the Caprock on the south side in such a way that cattle had to be driven in against the sun during the afternoon. Before the advent of railroads in the South Plains, Square and Compass cattle were driven to Colorado City, then the nearest railhead, from which lumber, barbed wire, and other supplies were freighted. The headquarters, consisting of a four-room main house and a bunkhouse, were located between the Caprock and the Double Mountain Fork near the site of the future John B. Slaughter estate headquarters. The Nave and McCord Cattle Company operated the Square and Compass at a modest profit, enduring the terrible blizzards and drought of 1886. Rollie Burns stayed on as foreman until December 1888, when he was hired by the neighboring IOA Ranch. In 1901 both the land and cattle were sold to John B. Slaughter; the sale included 99,188 acres of land at $1.60 an acre and 5,000 cattle. After Slaughter acquired the ranch, he dropped the Square and Compass brand and used his own brand, the U Lazy S.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, William Curry Holden, "Square and Compass Ranch," accessed May 31, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/aps06.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles