RANCHO DEL ATASCOSO
RANCHO DEL ATASCOSO. Rancho del Atascoso, sometimes called El Atascoso ("bog"), was an outlying ranch of San José y San Miguel de Aguayo Mission. The ranch lay astride the Atascosa River between the sites of present Pleasanton and Poteet in Atascosa County. It derived its name from the deep sand in the area. When Fray Gaspár José de Solís visited the ranch in 1768, he noted ten droves of mares, four droves of asses, thirty sets of harness, 1,500 cattle, 5,000 sheep and goats, and all the necessary farming implements, such as plowshares, hoes, axes, and bars. No white overseers were needed, for Pastia Indian residents were in complete charge of the ranch. They did all the work and were skilled in all kinds of labor. They acted as mule drivers, masons, cowboys, and shepherds. The able-bodied men did the manual labor; the old men made arrows for warriors; the older girls wove cloth, carded wool, and sewed clothes; the old women caught fish for the padres; and the younger boys and girls went to school and recited their prayers. After the secularization of San José Mission in 1794, the ranch declined and its lands became vacant. In the early 1830s land that formerly was a part of the ranch was deeded under Mexican title to José Antonio Navarro, Juan N. Seguín, José María Salinas, Joaquín de la Garza, Ignacio Herrera, and others. By 1993 the site of the ranch headquarters had not been archeologically confirmed.
Marion A. Habig, San Antonio's Mission San José (San Antonio: Naylor, 1968). Jack Jackson, Los Mesteños: Spanish Ranching in Texas, 1721–1821 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1986). A. Joachim McGraw, John W. Clark, Jr., and Elizabeth A. Robbins, eds., A Texas Legacy: The Old San Antonio Road and the Caminos Reales (Austin: Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, 1991). Robert S. Weddle and Robert H. Thonhoff, Drama and Conflict: The Texas Saga of 1776 (Austin: Madrona, 1976).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert H. Thonhoff, "RANCHO DEL ATASCOSO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/aprrr), accessed February 05, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles