RETERIO PLANTATION. Reterio Plantation, a cotton plantation established by Moses Austin Bryan in 1847, was located on the east bank of Oyster Creek near the site of Stratton Ridge in southeastern Brazoria County. In addition to cotton, Reterio raised corn, potatoes, and large numbers of cattle. In 1860 Bryan had real property worth an estimated $55,898, personal property valued at $45,940, and nine slaves; he was one of the county's wealthiest citizens. J. T. Stratton purchased the plantation sometime after the Civil War, and oil deposits were later discovered at Stratton Ridge oil dome.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). Abner Strobel, Oyster Creek and Brazos Plantation (Richmond, Texas: Price-Ferguson, 1965?). Ralph A. Wooster, "Wealthy Texans, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 71 (October 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "RETERIO PLANTATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/acrjw), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.