- Get Involved
CRESSON, TEXAS. Cresson is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 377 and State Highway 171, seventeen miles south of Fort Worth on the Hood-Johnson county line. The town was named for John Cresson, captain of a wagon train that camped in the area before the Civil War. Cresson later built several houses and a general store on the site of the future town. Stagecoaches operated as early as 1856 from Jacksboro and Weatherford to Cresson and from Cresson to Cleburne, Waco, Granbury, and Stephenville. Around the town longhorn cattle grazed on land leased from the state. Early settlers included the Stewarts, who came from Kentucky in 1860, the Slocums, who operated the Stage Coach House, the Fidlers, who built the first hotel, and W. W. Wolf, who owned and operated the first cotton gin. In 1887 the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway was built through Cresson and extended to Granbury, the county seat. The railroad bolstered the economy in Cresson by opening the Fort Worth and Granbury markets to the town's agricultural products and livestock. When the Santa Fe Railroad was extended through the county in the same year, it crossed the Fort Worth and Rio Grande at Cresson. A post office was also established in 1887.
By 1890 Cresson had a population of thirty-five, a lumberyard, and three stores. The First Methodist Church was established in 1894; a tornado later destroyed the building, and a new one was built in the 1960s. The First Baptist Church was established in 1896. The population of Cresson reached 100 that year. By 1905 the town had two banks, eight general stores, a drugstore, a lumberyard, two doctors, a justice of the peace, and a constable who employed two deputies. In 1904 Cresson had a reported population of 279. The population remained fairly constant until the early 1970s, when it was reported at 208. In 1988 the town continued to have a population of about 200 and eight businesses and was primarily a ranching and retirement community. Two manufacturing companies were operating: Tex-Star Industries, which manufactures stucco, and a fertilizer company, Hyponex. Children in grade school are bused to Acton, and middle and high school students are bused to Granbury. Two museums—the Hal S. Smith Machinery Museum and Sturdy's Prairie Box Museum—have functioned in Cresson, but both are now closed. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was 208.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Thomas T. Ewell, History of Hood County (Granbury, Texas: Gaston, 1895; rpt., Granbury Junior Woman's Club, 1956). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Hood County).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Rhonda L. Callaway, "CRESSON, TX," accessed July 24, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlc59.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.