- Get Involved
LYTLE, TEXAS. Lytle is on Interstate Highway 35 and U.S. Highway 81 in the far northwest corner of Atascosa County. The city limits extend into neighboring Bexar and Medina counties. The town was named for John T. Lytle, a rancher and traildriver active in the area in the 1860s and possibly as early as 1846. He was instrumental in establishing Lytle Station on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1882. When a post office was granted in 1883, it was named for the train stop, which was near the Lytle-McDaniel Ranch and had a general store, a bar, and a casketmaker named W. J. Garnand, who became the first postmaster. Lytle was a shipping point and retail center for area ranchers and corn and cotton farmers. In 1884 it had a population of fifty, a union church, a district school, a hotel, and a physician. By 1892 the community had a population of 100, four general stores, a gin, two livestock breeders, and a Methodist church. In the late 1890s coal mining became a factor in the area's economy, and the population of Lytle rose to 150 by 1896.
The town survived a severe drought in 1885 and a hailstorm in 1895. By 1904 the population was listed as 212, and Lytle School had sixty-two students and two teachers. Lytle State Bank was chartered in 1910, and by 1914 the town's population had increased to 600. The school had 127 students. The weekly newspaper was called the Herald. The town had telephone service, an additional general store, and two lumberyards. The Medina Valley Irrigation Company's plans to establish a facility in Lytle did not develop as expected because the company went into receivership in 1917. Aside from a brief drop in population in the mid-1930s, Lytle continued to prosper, with steady population increases from 700 in the 1920s to 800 in the 1960s. The number of businesses during that time varied from a low of fifteen to a high of thirty-two. In 1990 the population was 2,255. The population was 2,383 by 2000.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Pleasanton Express, September 3, 1969.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Linda Peterson, "LYTLE, TX," accessed September 18, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HJL20.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.