On this day in 1845, the voters of the Republic of Texas approved an ordinance to accept annexation by a vote of 4,245 to 257. They also adopted the proposed state constitution by a vote of 4,174 to 312. The annexation of Texas to the United States had been a topic of political and diplomatic discussions since the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Although most Texans had been in favor of annexation and had voted for it as early as 1836, constitutional scruples, fear of war with Mexico, and the controversy of adding another slave state to the union prevented the acceptance of annexation by the United States until 1845.
On this day in 1835, the New Orleans Greys, two companies of United States volunteers that served together in the Texas Revolution, were organized at a meeting held in the grand coffee room of Banks's Arcade in New Orleans. Although the disasters at the Alamo and Goliad destroyed the Greys as military units, at least seven of them were present at the battle of San Jacinto. The Greys were one of the few volunteer units able to claim Bexar, the Alamo, San Patricio, Refugio, Coleto, Goliad, and San Jacinto as battle honors.
On this day in 1859, the Rev. Alexander Gregg was consecrated as the first bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas. The diocese was actually organized in 1849 at a meeting in Matagorda, but several candidates had declined the position of bishop due to concerns about the young diocese's financial status before Gregg finally accepted. Gregg, born in 1819 in South Carolina, had been serving as rector of a parish in Cheraw in that state. He was consecrated at the General Convention in Richmond, Virginia, and moved to Texas in January 1860. Gregg was a slaveholder and an ardent supporter of the Confederacy; with the coming of secession, he held that the church in the Confederacy must follow the government and separate itself from the church in the United States, though after the Civil War he favored reuniting them. Gregg also established the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee. He died in Austin in 1893.