El Paso County gives rock art site to state
On this day in 1969, El Paso County gave Hueco Tanks by special deed to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. The site, thirty miles east of El Paso, features three massive granite hills that rise to about 450 feet above the desert floor and are noted for their prehistoric Indian rock art. Hueco, Spanish for "hollow," refers to the hollows in the rocks that collect rainwater. Until about 1910 the tanks furnished virtually the only water between the Pecos River and El Paso. Folsom projectile points found at Hueco Tanks show that human beings have been in the area for at least 10,000 years. An estimated 5,000 pictographs and a few petroglyphs are scattered in more than fifty locations throughout the site. In May 1970 Hueco Tanks State Historical Park was opened to the public.