D. and A. Oppenheimer closes
On this day in 1988, the D. and A. Oppenheimer bank, one of the oldest in Texas, closed. The bank was founded by brothers Daniel and Anton Oppenheimer, Bavarian immigrants who settled in Rusk in the 1850s. From 1858 to 1861 they operated as small merchants in Rusk and the surrounding area. In 1861 they closed their store and joined the Confederate Army. After the Civil War the brothers moved to San Antonio and opened a bank in addition to their mercantile business. They also began trading goods to ranchers for cattle and buying land. At one time they ran 15,000 head on ranches, and they were among the pioneers of the Texas goat and mohair industry. Anton died in 1906 and Daniel in 1915. Daniel's son Frederic, a physician, married into the Joske family and became manager of Joske's Department Store. He and his wife became noted art collectors.