West Texas Historical and Scientific Society organized
On this day in 1925, the West Texas Historical and Scientific Society was organized at Alpine. The group received a state charter in 1926 and was governed by a seven-member board of directors. Members of the society conducted research in folklore, history, and different scientific fields and periodically published their results in the organization’s Bulletin. The first publication, Sul Ross State Teachers College Bulletin, came out in December 1926, and ten years later the society secured funding for a permanent museum (now the Museum of the Big Bend) located on the campus of Sul Ross State Teachers College at Alpine. The West Texas Historical and Scientific Society also worked in conjunction with the Peabody Museum of Harvard University and the Work Progress Administration to publish one of its bulletins in 1940.