Rival cities cooperate to open gigantic airport
On this date in 1974 the airport now known as Dallas–Fort Worth International Airport officially opened. Efforts from 1940 to 1965 to build and operate an airport between Dallas and Fort Worth had failed to satisfy the rival cities, which sometimes operated separate facilities. The FAA declared itself fed up, and in 1965 the Civil Aeronautics Board ordered the two cities to agree on a location for a regional airport. Construction began in December 1968. In 2000 D–FW was the third largest and fifth busiest airport in the world.