Texas Academy of Science organized
On this day in 1892, fourteen scientists organized the first Texas Academy of Science at the University of Texas to investigate and report upon such scientific problems as might be submitted by the state. Edgar Everhart, a chemist, served as the first president. The group was to advance the exact and natural sciences both by research and discussion, and they established a publication, Transactions. By 1907 the academy had publication exchange arrangements with seventy-five institutions. Throughout the twenty years of its existence patrons George W. Brackenridge and Mrs. George B. Halsted each gave $500 to the organization. By 1911 it had 154 members. The organization became defunct after 1913, but a second Texas Academy of Science organized in 1929 with approximately 100 members, including many from the first Texas academy. The group resumed publication of Transactions which was later absorbed by the new Texas Journal of Science, a journal still distributed to members and institutional libraries worldwide.