Camp Bowie closed
On this day in 1946, Camp Bowie, in Brown County, was declared surplus by the War Department. The camp was the second important military installation in the twentieth century to be named after James Bowie. It was established in September 1940 as an infantry and artillery training center for the Thirty-sixth Infantry Division, Texas National Guard. It was the first major defense construction project in Texas in World War II. By October 1942 Camp Bowie had expanded from an original 2,000 acres to a total of 120,000 acres. A number of units were stationed at the camp during the war, and in August 1943 a prisoner-of-war camp with a capacity of 3,000 prisoners was established within the post.