Fine arts association, Ney Museum founded
On this day in 1911, various friends of the late sculptor Elisabet Ney met in her Austin studio to found the Texas Fine Arts Association and the Elisabet Ney Museum. Ney, born in Westphalia in 1833, came to Texas in 1872 and was one of the first professional sculptors in the state. She built her studio, which she named Formosa, in 1892, and died in 1907. Among the friends who gathered four years later to honor her memory were Bride Neill Taylor, Julia Pease, Emma Cherry, and Emma Kyle Burleson. They designated the museum as the annual meeting place for the association and the gallery for its exhibitions; it thus functioned as one of the earliest centers for artistic development in Texas. In 1941 the city of Austin assumed ownership of the museum and in subsequent years has operated it as a component of the parks and recreation department.