Fort Worth's first hospital burns
On this day in 1885, a fire destroyed the Missouri Pacific Hospital, the first in Fort Worth. The precursor of St. Joseph Hospital was founded in 1883 for railroad workers. In early 1885 Mother St. Pierrette Cinquin, mother superior of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio, agreed to have her order take charge of the hospital's nursing program. The hospital burned only a few months after the sisters arrived. The Missouri Pacific Railroad rebuilt it and continued to operate it until moving all patients to Sedalia, Missouri, in 1889. The railroad then sold the hospital to the sisters for $15,000. The institution was renamed St. Joseph's Infirmary and dedicated on May 12, 1889. Its name was changed to St. Joseph Hospital in 1930.