Texas troops captured at Arkansas Post
On this day in 1863, the remnants of the Fourth Brigade of Walker's Texas Division were captured intact at Arkansas Post. The division, organized in Arkansas in October 1862, was the only division in Confederate service composed throughout its existence of troops from a single state. It took its name from Maj. Gen. John George Walker, who took command from its organizer, Brig. Gen. Henry Eustace McCulloch, on January 1, 1863. During its existence it was commonly called the "Greyhound Division," or "Walker's Greyhounds," in tribute to its special capability to make long, forced marches from one threatened point to another in the Trans-Mississippi Department. Initially, the division was made up of four brigades. The Fourth Brigade, under the command of Col. James Deshler, was detached from the division shortly after its organization and sent to Arkansas Post. Deshler was captured there, then exchanged and promoted to brigadier general in July 1863. He was killed during the battle of Chickamauga later that year.