H&TC absorbs four other rail lines
On this day in 1901, the Houston and Texas Central Railway acquired the Austin and Northwestern, Central Texas and Northwestern, Fort Worth and New Orleans, and Granite Mountain and Marble Falls City lines. The H&TC was originally chartered in 1848 as the Galveston and Red River Railway and was renamed in 1856; Paul Bremond and Thomas W. House were involved in the line's early development. It was sold in 1877 to Charles Morgan, and then came under the control of the Southern Pacific when that corporation began to take over Morgan's properties in 1883. However, the H&TC continued to be operated by its own organization until 1927, when it was leased to the Texas and New Orleans. It merged with the T&NO in 1934.