Hearst hosts New York benefit for Galveston orphans
On this day in 1900, newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst hosted a charity bazaar at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City to benefit children orphaned by the hurricane that had devastated Galveston on September 8. The hurricane did considerable damage to the Island City Protestant Orphans Home and, though none was injured, the children were temporarily removed to the Buckner Baptist Children's Home in Dallas. In 1901 the Island City Protestant Orphans Home was renamed the Galveston Orphans' Home; the $50,000 Hearst had raised was used for rebuilding, and the new structure opened in 1902. The institution, which had begun accepting children other than orphans during the Great Depression, was formally renamed the Galveston Children's Home in 1976. In 1984 the Galveston Children's Home, along with the Lasker Home for Homeless Children and other children's facilities in Galveston, merged to become the Children's Center, Inc.