HAUSCHILD MUSIC COMPANY
HAUSCHILD MUSIC COMPANY. The Hauschild Music Company was founded by George Hermann Hauschild in Victoria, Texas, in 1891. Hauschild, of German descent, had arrived in Victoria in 1865 and with Adele, his wife, opened the Hermann House, a hotel and boarding house. He entered the music business a quarter of a century later. The business initially sold musical instruments and accessories but soon began publishing music. In 1893 Hermann and his eldest son, Henry John Hauschild, who managed the business, built the Hauschild Opera House. This building housed the music company on the first floor and an auditorium on the upper two levels in which silent movies, plays, vaudeville shows, and concerts were performed into the 1930s.
Hauschild Music Company was one of the two earliest music publishers in the state (the first was Thomas Goggan and Brothers of Galveston). The first publication of the Hauschild Company was "The Ideal Polka" by Charles L. Streiber (1892).
Throughout its history the company was committed to publishing composers from the region and was the first music publishing company in the state to publish Texas Mexican composers. At least eight regional composers were Tejanos and seven were women, including one Tejana. The compositions by Tejanos were some of Hauschild’s biggest hits and best sellers. The company even offered a special price list of these works, which exhorted the public to purchase its “Popular Mexican Music” series. Many of the Tejano compositions which Hauschild published were waltzes and polkas. Some of the favorites were written by Leonora Rives-Díaz and Luis Díaz.qqv The two wrote such hits as “Twentieth Century Waltz” (1900) and “The Paris Exposition March” (1899), respectively. In 1974, during the Victoria Sesquicentennial Celebration, “The Paris Exposition March” was reissued under the title of “Victoria Sesquicentennial March/Two-Step.” Other Texas-Mexican composers which Hauschild published were A. M. Alvarado, Leonardo F. Bolado, Blas Balcón, Juan R. Guerra, Abundio Martínez, and Hipolito Pérez. Overall, the business issued approximately forty works by Texas-Mexican composers, according to Henry J. Hauschild, a family descendant.
Women published vocal works as well as waltzes, three-steps, and intermezzos with such titles as “The Aeroplanes Waltzes,” which was dedicated to the Wright Brothers, “Aline,” and “Belle of Texas.” Reflecting the practice of the times, only three female composers, Marguerite Shelton, Lula T. Williams, and Leonora Rives-Díaz, were published under their own given names. The others were known professionally as Mrs. R. C. Irwin, Mrs. T. H. Lee, Mrs. F. B. Shields, and Mrs. William Reuthinger. Shields was the author of the last Hauschild music publication with her 1922 composition, “In Rotary,” which she dedicated to the local Rotary Club.
The Hauschild Company ended its publishing operations in 1922 due to the proliferation of similar businesses in the state. It maintained its appliance trade until 1981, when it liquidated its stock and closed down. The opera house was issued a historical marker by the Texas Historical Commission in 1984. During its life, the Hauschild Music Company established an important precedent by recognizing the musical compositions of Tejanos and women when it opened its publishing venues to them.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Henry George Hauschild, Henry J. Hauschild).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Teresa Palomo Acosta, "HAUSCHILD MUSIC COMPANY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/xahnw), accessed February 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on October 10, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.